Pair of side chairs
Pair of mahogany Grecian side chairs, scroll back, saber legs, and Boulle inlay in cresting rail. These chairs are believed to have been made for Joseph Bonaparte's first home at Point Breeze near Bordentown, New Jersey, c. 1815. When the first Point Breeze burned in 1820, some of the furniture from the home was saved. It is believed that these two chairs were retrieved from the fire, as the forelegs on both chairs are charred on their back edges. The chairs were supposedly presented to Judge Hopkinson by Joseph Bonaparte, and they were presented to the Athenaeum by Miss Emily G. Hopkinson, who was one of Hopkinson's descendants.
32.5" H x 18.5" W x 19.0" D
Gift of Emily G. Hopkinson
Bonaparte Collection, The Athenaeum of Philadelphia